Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Probably Need To Pay Closer Attention To My Favorite Sports

The Australian Open somehow got to the second or third day before I, a casual tennis fan, realized that it was underway. I am questioning my own fanhood.

Wimbledon was the scene of my birth as a fan, but the Australian might be my favorite event in the sport. Australia is quite literally on the other side of the world, sixteen hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, which means that much of the coverage is perfectly timed for a night owl like me. Last year, the time difference resulted in an impromptu live-blog of the epic third-round match between Roger Federer and Janko Tipsarevic.

Will that happen again? Hard to say - on the one hand, one of things I enjoyed most about that post was its spontaneity. Planning for a live-blog is really no fun. Also, I have given up soda (and, by extension, caffeine) and tend to pass out on the couch before the clock gets too far past midnight. On the other hand, the baby is still sleeping through the night and I'm not working on Saturdays anymore, so I can sleep as long as I want on the weekends (well, as long as my wife wants me to sleep, anyway). Point being, you never know when I'll go crazy and try live-blogging a random Jankovic-Flipkens matchup.

0 Comments: