Tonight, just for fun, I did a quick rundown of the most consecutive seasons that each of MLB's thirty teams has gone without a World Series victory. A few thoughts:
- Of the six expansion teams that have been introduced since 1977, five have appeared in a World Series, winning five and losing two. The Mariners are the odd team out, failing to get past the American League Championship Series in three tries (1995, 2000-01).
- My grandfather died the day before the Cincinnati Reds won the 1990 World Series, the last in franchise history. He was born eight months after the Chicago Cubs won the 1908 World Series, the last in franchise history.
- The San Francisco Giants, owners of the third longest Series drought, have not won a World Series since moving to California, though they have played in the Fall Classic three times (1962, 1989, 2002). The Los Angeles Dodgers, who also moved west in 1958, have five titles in that time frame.
- Five of the last seven World Series winners have ended droughts of 24 years or more (2002 Angels, 2004 Red Sox, 2005 White Sox, 2006 Cardinals, 2008 Phillies); I don't think that's going to happen next year...which means the Cubs will probably defeat the Indians to become the 2009 champions.
- As a Red Sox fan, I feel it necessary to caution Phillies fans: do not allow this title to turn you into an entire fan base of assholes with an overblown sense of entitlement. Don't let it happen.
- The last time the Phillies won a World Series, I had just turned a year old.
- Ten teams have not won a World Series in my lifetime: Chicago Cubs, Cleveland, San Francisco, Texas, Houston, Montreal/Washington, San Diego, Milwaukee, Seattle, and Pittsburgh.
|Team||Last World Series Win||Drought|
|San Francisco Giants||1954||54|
|San Diego Padres||NA||39|
|Kansas City Royals||1985||23|
|New York Mets||1986||22|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||1988||20|
|Toronto Blue Jays||1993||15|
|Tampa Bay Rays||NA||10|
|New York Yankees||2000||8|
|Los Angeles Angels||2002||6|
|Chicago White Sox||2005||3|
|St. Louis Cardinals||2006||2|
|Boston Red Sox||2007||1|