Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Intelligence: Not A Requirement For Hosting Dancing With The Stars

Maybe I'm just a little cranky because I've been sick for two days and will probably miss my second consecutive day of work tomorrow (starting Thursday, I'm coming for you, Cal), but something happened tonight on Dancing With The Stars* that bothered me.

*Yeah, I watch Dancing With The Stars - but only because my wife makes me. That's a good excuse, right?

After being eliminated, Marlee Matlin and her partner made their way to the floor so the judges could say their goodbyes and they could be interviewed one last time. They get down there, people are cheering, Matlin is waving to the crowd, and the hostess fires off her first question...

Directly into Matlin's back.

If this was a one-time thing, it probably wouldn't have been that big a deal. But the show has been going on for awhile now, and this was at least the third time someone tried to interview Matlin - who is deaf - and messed up. Tonight, you have someone asking a question when she clearly isn't looking, earlier in the season it was the backstage reporter asking a question and holding the microphone up to her mouth when her interpreter was the one verbalizing the answer.

I don't know, it just strikes me as disrespectful.

3 Comments:

Bruce said...

"Normal" people get real stupid when dealing with those of us with disabilities. I have cerebral palsy, and being disrespected has been a constant in my life(maybe that's why I'm such a bitter old man), so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Forever and Ever said...

I knew there was a reason I didn't like that show..I know it shouldn't suprise me that people are so stupid but it does...I would like to see them live one day in a deaf person's shoe and see what it's like.

Anonymous said...

Stupid is the key word. I would bet the camera operators had no idea she was deaf, even though she is famous. My guess would be the producers said something like "Treat her like every one else" hence the microphone in the face.