Thursday, July 05, 2007

Did Anybody Think To Bring The Cake?


Through the years, a lot of interesting stuff has happened on July 5. For example:

1946 – The bikini is introduced.

1947Larry Doby debuts with the Cleveland Indians as the first African-American player in American League history (amazingly, after more or less ignoring Doby during the Jack Robinson festivities in April, ESPN is finally acknowledging that Doby exists).

1950Huey Lewis is born.

1975Arthur Ashe becomes the first African-American man to win a singles title at Wimbledon.

1989 – The first episode of “Seinfeld” airs.

2002Ted Williams dies.

Quite the day, wouldn’t you say? And, if I may be permitted a moment of self-indulgence, allow me to add one more…

2006 – One More Dying Quail is born.

That’s right – today is the one-year anniversary of the day that I sat down at my desktop, signed up for a Blogger account, and started tearing my hair out trying to think of a totally cool blog name.

My goal at the outset was to work on my writing, to develop a voice and maybe get my ability and confidence to the point that someone would want to pay me for my work. (After using the word “my” four times in that last sentence, I’m not sure how far I’ve really progressed). I already had a blog over at Fox Sports (still do, although it rarely gets updated), but figured this might prove to be an opportunity to gain exposure to a different corner of the Internet; specifically, I had started reading Deadspin and figured I had a better chance of getting linked there with a Blogger address than with a Fox Sports one.

I didn’t write much at the outset (about 40 posts total from July to November), but that changed in December, when I decided to commit myself to posting more frequently and actually making an effort to write quality material. In the months that have followed, I’ve reached back into my brain and come out with a lot of stuff. Some of it has been pretty good, some of it frighteningly bad, some of it just…there. But I’ve enjoyed every second of it.

The best thing about blogging for a year, besides the feeling that I’ve actually achieved something just by sticking around in a cluttered blogosphere? The friendships. Around the time I started writing more, I began frequenting Awful Announcing, mainly because his site was bigger than mine and he promised a link to anyone who left a comment (score!). Occasional comments led to some live-blogging, which led to inclusion in a group known throughout the Internet (Note: “throughout the Internet” may be a slight hyperbole) as the Channel Four News Team, five great bloggers (and me) who not only consistently put out some of the best work on the Internet, but are some of the best people I’ve run across. AA, RUTS, S2N, Extra P, Marco – thanks fellas. You make this fun. Here’s hoping we can keep the News Team going for awhile, ‘cause it’s been a blast.

Anyway, that’s pretty much all I’ve got for this horribly self-indulgent post. Thanks to everyone who has linked here in the last year and to everyone who has followed one of those links (99,901 of you so far – the goal by the end of the day is 100,000, which should be doable) – hope you find enough of interest to come back again later.

If not, read the links below and try – just TRY – to tell me it’s not worth a return trip. ‘Cause, you know, they’re some of my favorites:

Sports Memories I’ll Tell My Grandkids About: Kevin Romine, Morgan Magic and the Day I Came To Love Baseball (originally posted July 24, 2006)

How To Deal With Tony C., Dewey And Other Red Sox Greats (originally posted August 20, 2006)

Presenting…The All-Time Todd Team (originally posted October 19, 2006) – Special Note: this post and an email to Will Leitch earned me my first Deadspin link

My Father, My Hero (originally posted December 3, 2006)

The Second Saturday In September (originally posted December 5, 2006)

Welcome to the Bizarro Hall of Fame: Introducing the Class of 2007 (originally posted January 10, 2007) – Note: the alternate name for the Bizarro Hall of Fame is “The Series That Won’t Die”

The Fine Art Of Hitting .400 (originally posted January 31, 2007)

Remember Jack, But Don’t Forget Larry (originally posted April 8, 2007)

If You Need Inspiration, Look No Further Than Buck O’Neil (originally posted on May 17, 2007)
Battle Of The Sideline Reporters (originally posted on May 21, 2007) – the post that resulted in over 7,000 hits, a one-day OMDQ record

Craig Biggio: Hall of Famer? (originally posted on June 19, 2007)

8 Comments:

Signal to Noise said...

Where do I put the keg? Congrats!

(I swear I'm gonna go over the douchebaggery list sometime soon and do my own hacking out.)

Larry Brown said...

Happy birthday, I'll send over the strippers

Jordi said...

Not too overly self-indulgent. Happy Birthday OMDQ.

So is there a gift for visitor 100K? Maybe a free subscription to OMDQ: The Magazine?

Looking forward to many more birthdays and lots more great writing. So party it up today and then get back to work.

Forever and ever said...

Happy Birthday fellow blogger!! I hope overall you enjoyed this past year. I am not a frequent blogger, in fact I'm not much of a blogger at all, but I do enjoy reading your blog entries. You are a great writer and I'm sure one day you'll be famous for your writing. Hope your second year is just as good if not better than your first!! Once again, Happy B-day!! Hey...I like the idea of a OMDQ magazine...what do you think??

rstiles said...

Happy Birthday!!!....you have grown fast young man....

extrapolater said...

Awesome! Your reasons for starting a blog were about the same as mine. And I agree that joining the News Team was a key moment in making this enterprise fun for me.

Happy Anniversary.

Rupert Entwistle said...

Cheers OMDQ for a year of great stuff. That's quite a day to celebrate, 100k and a one year anniversary. Both great achievements.

One More Dying Quail said...

s2n, no beer. Zima and wine coolers only, please.

larry, send them to Pacman instead. If I need my stripper fix, I can actually go to a club - he's proven that he can't handle that responsibility.

(However, if you want to send $81,000 in $1 bills so I can make it rain, it would be appreciated.)

jordi, number 100,000 will receive my undying love and gratitude. And, if I had their address, a nice thank you card, maybe a flower arrangement. I'm classy like that.

forever, at the rate my personal life is going, I hope the second year of this blog just IS. Thanks for the kind words.

stiles, they grow up so fast, don't they?

extra, we had the same reasoning for starting out, but you're the one inspiring me to keep trying to get my work viewed by a larger audience.

rupert, I tried to tell my wife that it would be cool if our kid was born on the same day, but she didn't take the hint.