Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Who Says The New York Post Isn't Informative?

I subscribed to the RSS feed for the New York Post a couple of weeks ago on a whim, figuring it would be interesting to see the differences in the way the paper's sports coverage differed from that of the rival New York Times. I wasn't really expecting much from the Post, so it was somewhat shocking when I clicked on a story today and actually learned something.

Damion Easley is still a major league baseball player.

Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed that this information had passed me by, since I like to pretend I know something about baseball. My last recollection of Easley was from his 6+ year stint with the Detroit Tigers, which ended badly when he was released before the start of the 2003 season. He apparently did not fall off the face of the earth at that point, but signed almost immediately with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, where he spent two months playing third base and hitting .187.

After three more seasons with the Marlins and Diamondbacks (during which time he reinvented himself as a jack-of-all-trades who could and would play all four infield positions), Easley ended up with the Mets this season, where he has hit two homers in seven games, including last night's game-tying shot against Rockies closer Brian Fuentes.

This shouldn't really matter to me, but it's nice to see a guy like Easley (who had pretty much disappeared off the baseball rader) getting the chance for one last hurrah at the major league level. If he hits one more homerun this season, it will be the 150th of his career.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go check the major league rosters to see if there are any other active players that have been completely forgotten.

1 Comment:

Zach Landres-Schnur said...

is julio franco still in the league too? combined, they'd be almost as old as time.